For children who can, and will access longer term placements with mainstream or independent school providers, we will support them to do so. However, we will also provide homeschooling opportunities for children, and young people who are struggling to access more formal education.
Our homeschooling approach is supported by experienced, and skilled qualified teachers with significant sector experience. This provision spans age 8-18 and includes intake from across England and Scotland. Children and young people arrive to care at AWW from a variety of backgrounds and with a variety of needs, both educationally and from a care perspective. Our mission is to allow all young people looked after by Wilderness Experiences to access a child centred, outdoor education which will enable each child to fully engage with education and reach their potential.
Most of the young people we work with have been out of education for periods of time and have not attended or attained in this environment. Our aim is to engage young people during their stay and develop their self-esteem and confidence to achieve. We provide outdoor education and education programmes on a 1-1 basis and are registered providers of the AQA Awards and ASDAN.
As well as this, our Wilderness Experiences programmes help to provide outdoor education for the children and young people in our care. This is because we look beyond standard approaches to education and feel that educational outcomes can be achieved combined with activities such as team building and individual support through outdoor education in a peaceful countryside environment.
Children across AWW can be placed for a period of two weeks up to long term placements. For this reason, we have to be extremely flexible as a service in order to meet the educational needs of all children and young people in our care. We are not a DFE registered school, however we would argue that our educational outcomes rival and exceed that of similar provision in the sector. We are however rated Ofsted “Outstanding” in all 3 of our first inspections.
All Young People Receive
- Input into any PEP or EHCP development
- One to one input in English and/or maths
- Regular contact with each child’s provider and the placing authority to support the child’s education and training and to maximise the child’s achievement
- Input from staff who understand and are experienced at teaching young people who are not able at this time to be in mainstream education.
- Staff who will be empathetic, flexible and supportive to any personal issues that can impact on their ability to learn and affect motivation to study.
- All staff in the care setting working together towards targets on the IEP in order to create a ‘Team around the Child’ approach.
- An individual education plan (IEP) based on attainment, attitude and readiness for education. This is reviewed six-weekly.
- Tailored support in transition back to mainstream or alternative full-time education.
- Input that reflects their age, attainment and curriculum requirements for maths and English
- Age-appropriate learning experiences and activities away from the educational environment which develop life-skills
- Access to an educational psychologist.
- Support for schools where young people remain on roll
- National Indoor Bouldering Award Scheme
- Paddlepower passport
- Access to literacy in Music workshop
- An extensive programme of outdoor education and opportunities
- In addition to the above, pupils aged 8+ can recieve access to the ASDAN Key Steps and Stepping Stones Programmes.
Pupils Aged 14+ Recieve
- AQA certification in a broad range of educational areas, including independence
- Access to the ASDAN Personal Development Programme
- Input and careers information aimed at young people making more informed choices
- Volunteering and work experience opportunities
- The opportunity to achieve nationally recognised qualifications in Maths, English and/or ICT
- Support in sitting GCSEs in maths and/or English
- Adventure and Residential Short Course Award
- Foodwise Short Course Award
- First Aid Certificate
- Food and Hygiene Certificate